I went ahead and took the plunge; I bought myself the top of the line Excalibur 9-Tray Dehydrator with a timer. I have wanted this ever since I took a dehydrating class and learned that you can sustain a raw food diet and still have crunchy food! The first thing I made was these Hot-n-Spicy Tortilla Chips to go along with the Not-cho Cheeze.
Hot-n-Spicy Tortilla Chips
- 3 cups raw corn
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- ½ small yellow onion, chopped
- ¾ cup flaxseed, finely ground (about 1 cup ground)
- ½ cup hemp seed
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, minced and seeded
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Chop the corn, pepper, and onion and toss in a food processor and process until blended well.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until combined.
- Spread eventually on teflex sheets using a cake frosting spatula. The spatula is really key in assisting you spread the mixture evenly on the texflex sheet.
- Dehydrate at 115 degrees for 12 hours.
- Pull out trays and score into triangles to look like tortilla chips.
- Flip over and dehydrate for another 10 hours.
This is the closest tasting thing to nacho cheese I have ever tried that is vegan! It is so addicting!! It tastes like that Frito-Lay jalapeno cheese dip that is so not good for you in any way. You can put this over broccoli, cauliflower, whole wheat pasta noodles to make mac n’cheese or use it as a dip for whatever your heart desires.
- 2 tablespoons shallots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup red or yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup yellow or white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- In a saucepan, add shallots, potatoes, carrots, onion, and water, and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are very soft.
- In a blender, process the cashews, salt, garlic, 1/3 cup margarine, mustard, lemon juice, black pepper, and cayenne. Add softened vegetables and cooking water to the blender and process until perfectly smooth.
- Serve warm or cold.
Do yourself a favor, try something VEGAN today!!